Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 3 - Dogs, Dogs Everywhere

Sleeping on the floor was proving to be less of an issue - I had gotten a decent night's sleep and wasn't sore the next morning. Today I decided to explore the other end of Burlingame - which also, conveniently, had a Starbucks.

It was a bit further away than I had expected. There weren't many chain stores there, but a lot of independently-owned shops. It must be the "historic" end of Burlingame. There were also a ton of people sitting at the tables outside of the Starbucks and just as many inside. Since there was clearly no room for me, I decided to walk back to my familiar Starbucks.

The walk was nice except for the exact position of the sun, which shone above my transition lenses and directly into my eyes for most of the time, so I was stumbling blindly down the sidewalks. The streets are also not in a convenient grid pattern as I was normally used to, so I got lost a couple of times. Finally I found my way up Burlingame Avenue. There were lots of people out, and some of them I thought I recognized from wandering around yesterday. (Small town!) Lots of dogs out as well. Saw a couple of weimeraners sniffing intently at a golden retriever and their owner was giving the passerby their entire breed history. A block later a woman was doing a similar thing with her two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Fancy dogs!

Unfortunately for me, this Starbucks was also crowded. There was one table free that I could see, but it was for the handicapable and I didn't want to be a jerk. So I parked it on a bench outside and attempted to use my laptop in the sunlight. Needless to say, I gave up after 5 minutes. I entered Starbucks again and almost everyone had disappeared, and there was room to spare. I parked it at a table near the back and was consumed by the internet for about 3 hours. I ordered Internet service for my apartment (which won't come until next Saturday), checked all my sites, and tried to study up for my first day of work tomorrow by playing the newest game, "Around the World in 80 Plays". Soon anxiety washed over me and I decided to head home. On the way, I stopped inside the small bookstore down the road. It was no Barnes & Noble but they had a modest graphic novel collection and they sold Moleskine notebooks, so I decided it would do in a pinch.

At home I wrote up some notes for my friend's novel, talked to my mom on the phone, and then talked to my old roommate Alex for almost 3 hours while I drew some Pokemon for the Pokemon Sketchbook Project. After that I watched some of War Horse (right up until Captain Nicholls gets killed, no surprise there) and turned in at about 10pm to rest up for my first day of work tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to hear about your first day at work! Keep the entries coming!! I like reading them.

    ReplyDelete