Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 2 - Now What?

SATURDAY

I woke up to a loud banging noise and realized the wind was blowing through my kitchen windows and banging the blinds against the frame. I shut the window and tried to go back to sleep. Instead I lay "in sleeping bag" for another 30 minutes. I got up, ate some cereal, went to shower... and realized I had no shower curtain. I also realized I had no drain plug, so a bath was out of the question. However, I come from a family of women who wash their hair in the kitchen sink, so I made it work somehow.

My plan for today was simple - go to Starbucks and use their wifi. After a ten minute walk or so, I hunkered down at a sticky table with a frappuccino and proceeded to check my emails. Shortly thereafter an older woman asked to join me with her semi-infant granddaughter. We made small talk and the kid was pretty cute and well-behaved. They hung out for a little while (joined shortly by the kid's mother) and then left, wishing me welcome to Burlingame and good luck at my job. I decided then that this town seemed OK.

I stayed for a while longer and then realized I was starving, so I headed home. I stopped at Walgreens and was impressed by their selection of home products. I picked up a shower liner, bath drain, kitchen sink strainer (as I have no garbage disposal) and some extra hand towels. I was tempted to pick up a queen-sized air mattress (with pump included) for $40, but considering I had not found an air mattress/pump combo for under $80 anywhere else, I decided to give it one more night in the sleeping bag. I came home, made myself a sandwich, and read my friend's novel for the rest of the day.

At 8pm I didn't know what to do with myself. I had another book I could read, a little bit of drawing I could do, and 1 movie - War Horse, which I had already watched on Thursday night - but other than that, not much else to do. Wound up watching a couple of videos I had on my laptop, reading a little bit more, and half a package of my dehydrated potatoes.

One of the mental obstacles I will have to overcome eventually is feeling guilty about eating too much. I still have plenty of money left over to last me until my first paycheck, yet I'm trying to conserve the amount (and type) of food I'm eating. If I feel like I want a bowl of cereal in the middle of the day, I try to resist the temptation in order to make it last as long as possible. I'm acting as though I'm destitute, which I figure isn't a bad thing for the first month or so as I figure out how much I am going to be spending a month, but I really hope I grow out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I can't buy cereal because I will eat it all in under two days.

    Excited to stalk your Fran Sacisco happenin's.

    Peace out.

    ReplyDelete